(View our Policy & Position papers by clicking here.)
As Abbotsford grows the activities of the Chamber have been shifting to match the needs of members and the business community as a whole.
More and more time and effort is being spent on advocacy. The Chamber is represented in unprecedented numbers of committees, boards, review panels and advisory committees. The Chamber utilizes an extensive network of volunteers to bolster staff to ensure we are adequately represented locally and regionally.
The Chamber has produced a number of position papers over the last number of years on a variety of issues pertinent to trade and commerce in Abbotsford. In addition, we have sponsored or cosponsored numerous resolutions to the floor of the BC and Canadian Chambers of Commerce Annual General Meeting with great success.
The Chamber has positioned itself to be "top of mind" when questions of the Abbotsford community are being garnered by:
- City of Abbotsford
- Metro Vancouver
- Federal Government
- Provincial Government
- Fraser Valley Regional District
- Crown Corporations
- Local MLA's and MP's
- Sectoral Organizations
The Chamber is active with the following committees:
- City Agriculture, Dyking, Drainage and Irrigation Advisory Committee
- City Development Advisory Committee
- City Homelessness Action Advisory Committee
- City Public Safety Advisory Committee
- City Transportation Advisory Committee
- Lower Mainland Transportation Panel
- Character Canada
- Tourism Abbotsford
- Fraser Valley Indo Canadian Business Association
Most recently the Chamber participated on the following initiatives:
- Multi Jurisdictional Business Licence
- Official Community Plan
- Protection of the C7 zoning in the business improvement area downtown
- Taskforce on Homelessness
- RoadTrip Policy development
- Canada/US Customs Tax Collection Policy
- Provincial Electoral Boundaries Review
- Opposition to bylaw 280
- ICI Recycling/Composting Bylaw Input
- Lobby for additional lanes on Highway #1 to Whatcom Rd.
- Became Accredited with Distinction, one of only 9 chambers in BC!